Real Change Homeless Empowerment Project was founded in 1994 to offer immediate employment options for poor and homeless adults and challenge the structures that create poverty. Real Change serves our vendors and unsheltered folks through three integrated approaches:
Vendor Program: Real Change meets vendors where they are, providing immediate income and training. Additional opportunities include advanced sales trainings, elected vendor leadership positions, vendor internships, assistance with navigation and resource referral and paid participation in the Homeless Speakers Bureau.
Real Change Newspaper: Real Change is North America’s leading street newspaper that provides work for about 700 homeless and low-income people annually, regularly wins awards for excellence, and focuses on issues of economic, social and racial justice.
Real Change Advocacy: Real Change leverages relationships between vendors and readers to increase opportunities for homeless and low-income people to positively impact their lives.
Real Change actively recruits persons of diverse backgrounds and supports the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the organization. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer corps with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates a vibrant environment where individuals can learn, grow and thrive. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit factors, so that all employees feel included, equally valued and supported.
Development Associate - Job Description
The Development Associate is a part time (20 hours), non-exempt position at Real Change reporting to the Development Director. This position coordinates activities related to reaching development revenue goals including grants, individual and foundation giving and events.
Primary roles and responsibilities:
• Assist with expanding our donor base through donor development, mailings and on-line giving
• Research and cultivate a broadened base of sponsors, foundations, grants and other donor opportunities
• Assist implementing fundraising campaigns (fund drives, events, etc.) including coordinating bulk mailings.
• Manage peer to peer fundraising pages and other recruitment tools
• Draft and edit donor correspondences
• Help manage volunteer teams
• Serve as an ambassador in the community at individual and public events
• Coordinate fundraising events in conjunction with other staff
• Participate in regular staff meetings, trainings and committee meetings.
• Other duties as assigned
• Two years fundraising/development experience
• Ability to pull reports from CRM database and analyze results
• Experience managing large events
• Strong oral and written communication
• Attention to detail
• Ability to work with people of diverse and low-income backgrounds
• Ability to work in a fast paced, loud and often chaotic work environment
• Commitment to social and economic justice
• Media and communications experience
• Working knowledge of Raisers Edge, Blackbaud, NetCommunity and peer to peer fundraising platforms
Compensation: Starting salary $17.38+ DOE. Benefit package includes generous PTO, employer invested retirement fund, flexible work scheduled and professional development funds.
Please send resume and cover letter to jobs (at) realchangenews (dot) org with Development Associate and your name in the subject line. No phone calls please. Deadline to apply Oct. 9, 2019