Real Change Homeless Empowerment Project was founded in 1994 to offer immediate employment options for poor and homeless adults and challenge the structures that create poverty. Real Change serves our vendors and unsheltered folks through three integrated approaches:
Vendor Program: Real Change meets vendors where they are, providing immediate income and training. Additional opportunities include advanced sales trainings, elected vendor leadership positions, vendor internships, assistance with navigation and resource referral and paid participation in the Homeless Speakers Bureau.
Real Change Newspaper: Real Change is North America’s leading street newspaper that provides work for about 700 homeless and low-income people annually, regularly wins awards for excellence, and focuses on issues of economic, social and racial justice.
Real Change Advocacy: Real Change leverages relationships between vendors and readers to increase opportunities for homeless and low-income people to positively impact their lives.
Real Change actively recruits persons of diverse backgrounds and supports the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the organization. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer corps with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates a vibrant environment where individuals can learn, grow and thrive. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit factors, so that all employees feel included, equally valued and supported.
Operations Associate - Job Description
The Operations Associate is a full time (40 hours), non-exempt position at Real Change reporting to the Managing Director. This position ensure smooth functioning of the Real Change offices, troubleshoots computer and user needs and maintains the donor database Raiser’s Edge.
Primary roles and responsibilities:
Organizational and Staff Support (50%)
• Responsible for the day-to-day facilities operations including coordinating the maintenance and alternation of office areas and equipment such as the layout, arrangement and housekeeping of office facilities; purchasing office supplies, office equipment etc. for all departments
• Maintain staff benefits, including paperwork for employee changes to health care plan
• Post job announcements and put together candidate packets for hiring committees
• Perform administrative work such as filing, sorting and distributing mail
• Assist with the preparation of correspondence as needed
• Maintain confidentiality of sensitive and confidential information
• Assist bookkeeper with activities such as bank deposits
• Disburse and manage petty cash
• Supervise and participate in a wide-range of company projects and events
• Manage disbursement of RC Resource Guide and weekly newspaper subscriptions
Facilities and IT Coordination (20%)
• Administer RC email system and maintain intra-office calendar
• Troubleshoot IT issues and serve as liaison with IT consultant
• Coordinate internal file-shares and ensure remote connectivity for identified staff
• Maintain office machines and equipment and serve as liaison for contracted vendors
• Work with property manager for building maintenance issues
Database Management (25%)
• Manage Raiser’s Edge database pulling lists, generating reports, follow up, reconciling donor data
• Process donations by appropriately coding campaigns and appeals, creating hard copies of collateral, and inputting data into donor database
• Conduct associated ongoing data analysis to determine and recommend trends
• Event support as directed by Development Director
• Work with Development Director to implement strategy for year-round institutional sponsorship cultivation that includes event sponsorship and newspaper advertising
Other Duties (5%)
• Participate in regular staff meetings, trainings and committee meetings
• Sales desk coverage when needed
• Participate in Strategic Plan group
• Other duties as assigned
• Minimum one year experience in office setting
• Experience with Raisers Edge database and CRM systems
• Passionate commitment to social and economic justice and Real Change’s mission
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Attention to detail
• Ability to work with people of diverse and low-income backgrounds
• Ability to work in a fast paced, chaotic and often unpredictable environment
• Experience with a non-profit serving the homeless community
Compensation: Starting salary $17.38+ DOE. Excellent benefit package, including three weeks paid vacation, medical, dental and vision coverage, and a $300 annual professional development budget.
To apply for this position please send resume and cover letter to jobs (at) realchangenews (dot) org with Operations Associate and your name in the subject line. No phone calls please. Deadline Oct. 9, 2019.