Real Change Homeless Empowerment Project was founded in 1994 to offer immediate employment options for the poor and homeless and challenge the structures that create poverty. Real Change serves our vendors, those that purchase and sell the newspaper, and unsheltered folks through three integrated approaches:
Vendor Program: Real Change meets vendors where they are, providing immediate income and training. Additional opportunities include advanced sales trainings, elected vendor leadership positions, vendor internships, assistance with navigation and resource referral, access to the computer lab, and paid participation in the Homeless Speakers Bureau.
Real Change Newspaper: Real Change is North America’s leading street newspaper that provides work for about 800 homeless and low-income people annually, regularly wins awards for excellence, and focuses on issues of economic, social and racial justice.
Real Change Advocacy: Real Change leverages relationships between vendors and readers to increase opportunities for homeless and low-income people.
Vendor Program Manager - Job Description
The Program Manager is a full time, exempt position reporting to the Managing Director. This leadership position supervises the vendor program and is responsible for meeting circulation goals and maintaining positive community relationships. The vendor program is the core of the organization and this position is key to ensuring agency and vendor success.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
Vendor Program (40%)
• Promote vendor success through innovative strategies that create opportunity for increased sales
• Provide leadership to ensure a safe and welcoming environment in the vendor center.
• Foster positive community relationships through sensitive enforcement of vendor guidelines
• Oversee updates to the policies and practices of the Vendor Program
• Work with IT consultant to ensure that Vendor Database is up to date and meets departmental needs
Department Supervision (30%)
• Supervise and vendor department staff and intern
• Coordinate staffing to ensure adequate coverage at all times
• Facilitate weekly staff meetings
• Design semi-annual vendor staff retreats to review program policies and ensure vendor satisfaction.
• Tend to professional development of staff by providing training opportunities.
• Develop relationships with partners in the community that promote vendor success
• Help recruit potential vendors and conduct orientations as needed
• Develop strategies to promote Real Change through special events, visibility tools, and marketing
Other Duties (15%)
• Create and manage annual department budget
• Serve on the Real Change Leadership Team to coordinate Vendor Program activities with other departments
• Serve on Equity team and participate in Real Change’s ongoing work around race and class equity
• Serve on at least one cross-departmental committee in addition to the Leadership Team
Minimum Qualifications include
- Commitment to ending institutional, structural and internalized racism
- Four + years of supervisory experience in a social service organization
- Two + years working with homeless and/or low income populations
- Experience in conflict management and de-escalation
- Familiarity with mental illness, substance use disorders and other disabilities
- Commitment to social and economic justice
- Proven project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Computer proficiency
- Ability to work in a hectic, busy, sometimes loud workspace
Preferred Qualifications include
- Experience in sales
Starting salary $55,000+ DOE. Excellent benefit package, including three weeks paid vacation, medical, dental and vision coverage, retirement plan and a $600 annual professional development budget.
Real Change is an equal-opportunity employer. We actively recruit persons of diverse backgrounds and support the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the organization. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer corps with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates a vibrant environment where individuals can learn, grow and thrive.
Real Change is committed to providing an inclusive workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit factors, so that all employees feel included, equally valued and supported.
Send cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Vendor Program Manager” in the subject line. People of color and those with direct experience with poverty and/or homelessness are encouraged to apply. No phone calls please.