Real Change Vendors: Opportunity and a Voice
Real Change ioffers immediate, low-barrier work opportunity that rewards effort from the first day forward. Individuals find work here selling the weekly, Real Change newspaper. Real Change empowers 300 active vendors each month, with about 600 vendors served annually.
Sellers of Real Change are self-employed and purchase papers for resale for $0.60 each. Our vendors keep the remaining $2 cover price plus all tips for each newspaper sold. Vendors are issued a badge and five free starter papers after attending a one-hour orientation, held Tuesday and Fridays at 10 AM.
Real Change readers directly put more than a million dollars annually into the pockets of our vendors by buying the paper on the street.
We’re more than a job. We’re a community and a chance to grow.
- Our Vendor Speakers Bureau provides valuable training and paid experience.
- Vendor Representatives are peer-elected leaders who help ensure vendor concerns are heard.
- Vendor advocates meet twice-monthly and are the backbone of our organizing and advocacy.
- Leadership training opportunities and paid internships help vendors build transferrable skills.
- Vendor voices inform our newspaper through weekly Editorial Committee meetings.
What Vendors Say:
“I really love selling Real Change. I get to make my own hours; I don’t have to work on somebody else’s time clock or call in sick. The flexibility of it is great.” — Jen Tibbets
"I got regular customers. I love them. They help me out a lot.” — Thomas Shipley
“I began selling the paper because my husband died. I was grieving. I would run into people who told me they had also lost their spouse or their children. There was this sense of community. And now I can’t even get out of it. I look forward to people talking to me every single day.” — Ivy Irving
"Real Change tells the truth; it’s innovative; it talks about the real issues. If I didn’t believe in this paper, I wouldn’t sell it. I can make a difference and make people start listening.” — Nick Maxwell