Real Change Homeless Empowerment Project was founded in 1994 to offer immediate employment options for poor and homeless adults and challenge the structures that create poverty. Real Change serves our vendors and unsheltered folks through three integrated approaches:
• Vendor Program: Real Change meets vendors where they are, providing immediate income and training. Additional opportunities include advanced sales trainings, elected vendor leadership positions, vendor internships, assistance with navigation and resource referral and paid participation in the Homeless Speakers Bureau.
• Real Change Newspaper: Real Change is North America’s leading street newspaper that provides work for about 700 homeless and low-income people annually, regularly wins awards for excellence, and focuses on issues of economic, social and racial justice.
• Real Change Advocacy: Real Change leverages relationships between vendors and readers to increase opportunities for homeless and low-income people.
The Bookkeeper is a PT (20 hours per week), non-exempt position reporting to the Managing Director. The Bookkeeper provides day-to-day financial management of the organization.
Primary roles and responsibilities:
• Enter all deposits, Accounts Receivables, and Accounts Payables into QB
• Code bills for approval by Managing Director
• Invoice customers and ensure bill pay
• Complete monthly close out of key financial records
• Enter credit card expenses and complete monthly reconciliation
• Work with Operations Associate and Development Director on monthly basis to reconcile donations listed in QuickBooks with donations listed in Raiser’s Edge
• Provide support to accountant (i.e. invoicing) for fiscal sponsorship
• Oversee sales desk cash revenue and prepare bank deposits
• Identify discrepancies at sales desk and bank accounts
• Perform regular bank drops
• Work with Managing Director and Accountant to close books monthly, quarterly and yearly
• Support Accountant to make sure that W2 forms are mailed to employees and 1099 forms are sent to contractors on a timely basis
• Assist Managing Director and Accountant is preparation of Form 990
• Run departmental P&L reports and other financial reports as needed by Managing Director
• Submit annual paperwork with State of Washington for the Nonprofit Corporate Renewal and Charitable Solicitations renewal
• Coordinate annual Board financial inspection
• Update the Finance and Accounting procedures document annually after internal audits
• Participate in regular staff meetings, trainings and committee meetings
• Other duties as assigned
• Minimum of 2 years of Bookkeeping
• Passionate commitment to social and economic justice and Real Change’s mission
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Attention to detail
• Ability to work in a fast paced and flexible environment
Compensation: Starting salary DOE.
Real Change is an equal-opportunity employer. We actively recruit persons of diverse backgrounds and support the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the organization. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer corps with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates a vibrant environment where individuals can learn, grow and thrive.
Real Change is committed to providing an inclusive workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equally valued and supported.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Deadline for applications: 9/14/2018