Real Change Homeless Empowerment Project was founded in 1994 to offer immediate employment options for the poor and homeless and challenge the structures that create poverty. Real Change serves our vendors, those who sell the newspaper, and unsheltered folks through three integrated approaches:
Vendor Program: Real Change meets vendors where they are, providing immediate income and training. Additional opportunities include advanced sales trainings, elected vendor leadership positions, vendor internships, assistance with navigation and resource referral, access to the computer lab, and paid participation in the Homeless Speakers Bureau. Vendors are at the core of the Real Change organization. Vendors are often homeless or unstably housed and struggle with poverty and oppression.
Real Change Newspaper: Real Change is North America’s leading street newspaper that provides work for about 700 homeless and low-income people annually, regularly wins awards for excellence, and focuses on issues of economic, social and racial justice.
Real Change Advocacy: Real Change leverages relationships between vendors and readers to increase opportunities for homeless and low-income people.
The Case Manager is a full–time (40 hours per week), Monday through Friday, non-exempt position reporting to the Vendor Program Manager. Vendors are independent contractors who purchase then resell the newspaper, which creates their income. This position is responsible for supporting vendors by maintaining a safe, welcoming and productive environment. Specifically this position supports vendors by assisting them in reaching their paper selling goals, helping navigate needed social services and supporting participation in agency events. While this is not a traditional case management position, the role provides one on one support to vendors by providing short-term case management, referrals, and crisis management. This position requires attention to detail, a sense of humor, and the flexibility to be successful in an unstructured and constantly changing environment.
PRIMARY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Vendor Case Management (30%)
• Provide short-term, intensive case management to vendors
• Provide regular drop-in hours for vendors requesting support
• Manage clothing pantry as an engagement and support tool
• Outreach vulnerable vendors when needed under direction of manager
• Assist vendors in getting to appointments and following up on progress of self-identified goals
• Advocate on behalf of vendors to service providers, landlords and support networks
• Provide vendors with requested documentation as needed
Vendor Support (30%)
• Create and maintain a safe environment
• Support vendors to build relationships, resolve conflicts, and offer coaching
• Assist with facilitating monthly vendor meetings
• Sell papers to vendors at the sales desk when needed
• Field outreach with partner organizations for recruitment
• Conduct orientations and sales training for new vendors when required
• Coordinate the distribution of the Emerald City Resource Guide
Program Support (30%)
• Coordinate vendor participation in Real Change events
• Participate in efforts to expand circulation under direction of manager
• Work collaboratively with other departments within Real Change
• Train sales desk volunteers as needed
• Enforce Authorized Vendor Guidelines and disciplinary consequences as needed
Administrative and Documentation (10%)
• Maintain current records in Vendor Database and Internal Blog
• Participate in weekly vendor staff meetings
• Perform other tasks as assigned
• Passionate commitment to social and economic justice and Real Change’s mission
• Two years of experience with homelessness and/or poverty (personal or professional)
• Experience navigating homeless support services
• Attention to detail
• Experience in conflict management and de-escalation
• Strong interpersonal and written communication skills
• Computer proficiency
• Proven experience in multi-tasking and meeting deadlines
• Flexibility necessary to be successful in an unstructured, busy, and sometimes loud workspace
$38,500 + DOE. Excellent benefit package, including three weeks paid vacation, medical, dental and vision coverage, company funded retirement plan and a $300 annual professional development budget.
Real Change is an equal-opportunity employer. We actively recruit persons of diverse backgrounds and support the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the organization. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer corps with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates a vibrant environment where individuals can learn, grow and thrive.
Real Change is committed to providing an inclusive workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit factors, so that all employees feel included, equally valued and supported.
This job description represent the minimum required level of performance necessary to be successful in the position and is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of functions or responsibilities that are required of the role. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time, and does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Please email your resume and cover letter to jobs (at) realchangenews (dot) org with the subject line Vendor Case Manager. Please include in your email where you heard about this job.