Real Change Homeless Empowerment Project was founded in 1994 to offer immediate employment options for poor and homeless adults and challenge the structures that create poverty. Real Change serves our vendors and unsheltered folks through three integrated approaches:
• Vendor Program: Real Change meets vendors where they are, providing immediate income and training. Additional opportunities include advanced sales trainings, elected vendor leadership positions, vendor internships, assistance with navigation and resource referral and paid participation in the Homeless Speakers Bureau.
•Real Change Newspaper: Real Change is North America’s leading street newspaper that provides work for about 700 homeless and low-income people annually, regularly wins awards for excellence, and focuses on issues of economic, social and racial justice.
•Real Change Advocacy: Real Change leverages relationships between vendors and readers to increase opportunities for homeless and low-income people.
The Editor is a full time, exempt position reporting to the Managing Director. This leadership position is responsible for the development and oversight of Real Change newspaper with a weekly circulation of 10,000-12,000. This position involves setting and maintaining an editorial direction that is consistent with the Real Change mission and strategic goals, producing a high quality paper of mostly original content every week, using social and digital media to build awareness of Real Change, supervising newspaper staff and volunteers, and acting as a liaison with community supporters and other departments at Real Change. The Editor serves on Real Change’s Leadership team.
Primary roles and responsibilities:
1. PRODUCTION OF WEEKLY PAPER (55%)
a. Identify content
• Develop stories and plan issues
• Follow local news trends as they relate to priority issues
• Work with reporters, vendors and volunteers to craft ideas and pitches
b. Assign Stories
• Assign weekly stories to staff, volunteers, intern and self
• Ensure effective management of guest editorials, poetry, letters, and other unsolicited submissions and respond as necessary to authors
• Incorporate feedback and evaluate story pitches from Editorial Committee, a volunteer body of homeless and low-income people.
• Delegate boilerplate material (e.g. calendar, crossword puzzle) to volunteers, and cultivate a broad base of volunteer reporters and reviewers
• Support content for Whatcom County Real Change
• Contribute news stories, as needed
c. Edit Copy
• Delegate editing responsibilities to staff as appropriate
• Edit articles and columns
• Develop headlines
• Review overall layout and design of paper
2. NEWSROOM MANAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION (20%)
• Set departmental goals and engage in long-term planning of special issues and events
• Provide direct supervision of all editorial staff, including weekly one-on-one meetings and annual performance evaluations
• Support on-going Podcast project and report on success regularly to leadership team and board
• Manage development of twice yearly resource guide
• Oversee editorial internship program
• Design and convene annual departmental retreat
• Develop and manage departmental budget
3. COMMUNITY RELATIONS (10%)
• Serve as a public face of Real Change and represent the organization at special events
• Create and maintain a variety of media relationships that actively promote Real Change as a quality source of news and opinion
• Cultivate and maintain relationships with individuals, community organizations, publishers, and other media
• Participate in industry-associations
• Support volunteers and vendors as needed
4. SOCIAL & DIGITAL MEDIA (5%)
• Work with Communications staff to post new content and relevant articles to Real Change website and social media outlets, namely Facebook and Twitter
• Partner with other departments to ensure proper on-line messaging and relevancy
5. INTERDEPARTMENTAL ACTIVITIES (10%)
• Take lead on integrating editorial department with other functions at RC
• Participate executing RC’s strategic planning goals and objectives
• Represent editorial department as member of RC Leadership team
• Attend staff meetings
• Minimum three years’ experience working in a newsroom
• Prior experience with supervision and management
• Demonstrated passion for and commitment to economic, social and racial justice
• Team player who can work effectively across departments
• Strong organizational skills and comfort with working in a deadline-driven environment
• Familiarity with production programs (InDesign, InCopy, Photoshop)
Starting salary $50,000 DOE. Excellent benefit package, including three weeks paid vacation, medical, dental and vision coverage, and a $600 annual professional development budget.
Real Change is an equal-opportunity employer. We actively recruit persons of diverse backgrounds and support the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the organization. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer corps with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates a vibrant environment where individuals can learn, grow and thrive.
Real Change is committed to providing an inclusive workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equally valued and supported.
Send cover letter, résumé and samples to: email@example.com. Please write “Editor” in the subject line. People of color and those with direct experience with poverty and/or homelessness are encouraged to apply. No phone calls please.