Real Change Homeless Empowerment Project exists to create opportunity and a voice for low-income and homeless people while taking action for economic, racial and social justice. We are a respected, 23-year-old community institution with a budget of $1.1 million and 15 staff members. Real Change accomplishes our mission through three integrated programs:
• Vendor Program: A low-barrier employment program where vendors buy our newspaper for $.60 per copy and resell it to the public for $2.00. We also offer leadership development opportunities for vendors, including advanced sales trainings, elected vendor leadership positions, paid internships, and paid speaking opportunities.
• Real Change Newspaper: Real Change is North America’s leading street newspaper, a weekly publication that focuses on issues of economic, social and racial justice. The paper provides work for about 800 homeless and low-income people annually and regularly wins awards for journalistic excellence.
• Real Change Advocacy and Organizing: Real Change leverages relationships between vendors and readers to mobilize the community to support equitable public policies in areas such as homelessness, affordable housing, and civil rights. Past organizing campaigns have increased linkage fees paid by housing developers, stopped a new city jail, blocked aggressive panhandling legislation, and led to increased funding and political will for emergency solutions to homelessness.
Overview of Position
The Managing Director is a full-time exempt position reporting to the Board of Directors. The Managing Director is in charge of day-to-day operations of the organization, including staff supervision, program oversight and operations management (finance, human resources, and facilities.)The Managing Director works closely with the Founding Director to form a two-person Executive Leadership team that creates the solid foundation from which RC is able to achieve its mission. The Managing and Founding Directors work with the organization’s leadership team to foster a positive culture that upholds Real Change’s values and supports the race and class equity work of the organization.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
Program Oversight and Support (40%)
• Hire and manage department leads: conduct regular supervision, provide ongoing support, and conduct annual evaluations
• Provide oversight of program departments - the newsroom, Vendor Program and Advocacy and Organizing – to make sure we are on track with goals
• Stay on top of trends in the labor markets, media, and homelessness landscapes
• Promote and facilitate cross-departmental collaboration
• Attend departmental meetings, as needed
Financial Oversight (20%)
• Provide overall fiscal management
• Manage contract with accountant and supervise part-time bookkeeper
• Develop and meet annual targets for RC expenses, earned income, and reserve
• Oversee and continuously improve system of financial controls
• Ensure compliance with calendar of fiscal and legal obligations
• Oversee budget process
• Approve and code expenses and sign checks
• Provide financial reports and dashboard metrics to Board
• Staff board finance committee
Human Resources (15%)
• Provide overall oversight for core HR functions including but not limited to hiring and onboarding, employee benefits, employee relations, evaluations, compensation, training, and risk management
• Negotiate and oversee contract with consultant for HR support
• Support Operations Associate to ensure payroll and benefits administration are done accurately and on-time
• Work with supervisors to finalize job descriptions for open positions and conduct hiring processes that attract a diverse applicant pool
• Initiate exit processes for outgoing employees
• Staff Board Personnel Committee
Facilities Management and Office Operations (15%)
• Monitor internal capacity issues
• Ensure maintenance of physical workspace
• Deal with issues related to current and potential future lease
• Work with IT consultant to develop and implement technology plan
• Ensure record of key organizational documentation is complete and up to date
• Meet with Founding Director on a regular basis
• Co-facilitate monthly leadership team meetings
• Support the ongoing race and class equity work of Real Change
• Attend monthly staff meetings
• Attend monthly board meetings
• Minimum of 5 years of nonprofit or equivalent leadership experience
• Demonstrated strength managing staff, programs and operational systems, including HR, finance and facilities
• Experience building and managing budgets of $500K or more
• Experience negotiating and managing contracts
• Strong program design and project management experience
• Familiarity with office technology systems
• Experience setting and tracking organizational performance metrics and goals
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Demonstrated commitment to economic and racial justice and the RC mission
This is an exempt position with an annual salary amount of $77-82K. Excellent benefit package, including three weeks paid vacation, medical, dental and vision coverage subsidized ORCA pass, and an annual professional development budget.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Priority consideration will be given to applications received by July 28th. Please write “Managing Director” in the subject line.
People of color and those with direct experience with poverty and/or homelessness are encouraged to apply. NO PHONE CALLS.