Winter Reporting Internship 2018
Real Change is a weekly newspaper covering social justice issues sold by working poor and homeless people on the streets of greater Seattle. The editorial team seeks an intern to help us round out our in-depth coverage of local issues in a three-month internship beginning January 2018.
1. Participate in Monday morning editorial meetings and, if applicable, Tuesday newspaper production
2. Attend community meetings and events, sometimes in the evenings
3. Conduct research and interviews for news stories
4. Develop sources and potential news stories and pitch them at editorial meetings and meetings with editor
5. Write news stories, briefs and vendor profiles
6. Keep a set weekly schedule of hours, in addition to occasional work in the field
7. Complete other editorial tasks, such as photography, as needed
• Previous journalism and/or research experience in a campus- or community-based media outlet
• Passionate interest in issues of social, racial and economic justice
• Desire to learn in a fast-paced and challenging setting
• Flexible schedule and ability to work occasional evenings
This is an unpaid internship, but academic service-learning or other credit will be gladly arranged. We anticipate that the internship will entail 10-20 hours of work each week; however, some allowances will be made for the right applicant.
Please send the following to Jenn Romo, Volunteer Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org:
• a cover letter explaining your skills and interest in the position, and how you learned about it
• a resume
• three published clips of your work or links to online work samples. In lieu of work samples, you may request a short writing assignment to write for Real Change.
The application deadline for Summer Quarter internships is 4 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 2, 2017.